Melon soup also known as egusi soup is a popular soup recipe in the Western part of Africa.
This soup is best served with pounded yam, fufu or eba.
Egusi soup and pounded yam is such a mouthwatering and appetising dish to behold.
The egusi soup is often thickened with ground melon seeds.
The basic ingredients include assorted meat, dried fish, onions, fresh tomatoes, seasonings & green vegetables. For the egusi soup recipe, follow the steps outlined here.
The pounded yam is made by boiling peeled yam and then pounding it until tender, then you can shape it as desired.
Alternatively, you can use the already processed yam flour which can be bought from any African shop.
To prepare the processed yam flour, start by stirring the yam flour in a boiling water and then continue cooking until thickened.
Once thickened and done, bring down from fire and serve with egusi soup.
- 1/2 yam flour or 1/2 tuber of yam
- 1 cup of egusi/melon seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1/ fresh pepper
- 1 sliced fresh tomato
- 1 stock cube
- 3 tsbs. red oil
- assorted beef, chicken and fish
- Dried fish and stockfish.
- Grind melon seeds (set aside).
- Wash, season and cook assorted meat and stockfish.
- Slightly heat up red oil in a saucepan, stir in onions and tomatoes then add grinded melon seeds.
- Add the boiling meat with a reasonable quantity of meat broth and cover the pot to cook.
- Add boiling water to the dried fish and wash properly, ensuring to debone the fish.
- Then add the dried fish, stock cube, pepper and salt to taste in the soup.
- Stir the soup then cover pot and allow to cook for another 7mins.
- Wash and add the shredded vegetables and simmer for 2mins.
- Bring down from fire and enjoy your soup served with pounded yam or fufu.
Rate this recipe
5 People Rated This Recipe
- (5.00 / 5)