Yam is a perennial staple food of the genus Dioscorea with edible tubers. Yam is commonly cultivated for the consumption of it's starchy tubers in Asia, Latin America, Africa, Oceania and the Caribbean.
Yam can be eaten boiled, roasted, fried, grilled, baked, smoked or grated.
Yam is a rich source of carbohydrates, protein, sodium, vitamin A, Folate, Fibre, Potassium, Magnesium and zinc.
Different countries use yam for different cuisines and the grated ones can be processed into a dessert recipe.
Yam can be boiled by peeling and cutting the tuber into thick slices and then boiling the starchy flesh. Boiled yam can be eaten with palm oil, tomato sauce or pepper sauce. Other dishes prepared with yam include yam porridge, beans & yam or vegetable yam.
Yam porridge is an easy meal to prepare and also very healthy to the body. Yam porridge garnished with vegetables is a very palatable delicacy.
Follow the simple steps outlined below to prepare this delicacy on your own.
- 1 tuber of Yam.
- 1/2 bunch of spinach or green vegetables (Thinly cut)
- Salt to taste
- 4 sliced tomatoes
- 1 Stock cube
- 2 tsbs. vegetable oil
- 2 tsbs. redoil
- Spices to taste
- Peel, wash and cut yam into small pieces
- Add boiling water, redoil, stock cube, salt and spices then allow to cook (B water must not exceed the yam level)
- Use hot water to wash the dry fish very well and add into the pot of yam.
- Meanwhile, heat up vegetable oil, stir in onions and tomato then fry.
- Once the tomato sauce has been fried properly, add into the yam and stir very well.
- Cover pot and allow to cook until the ingredients have mixed very well.
- Then add vegetables and simmer for 2mins.
- Serve your palatable yam porridge either warm or cold but preferably warm.
Rate this recipe
3 People Rated This Recipe
- (2.33 / 3)