Vietnamese congee chào gà (rice porridge) is one of such meals that even though I wasn't really planning on taking time to make it so special yet turned out sooooooooo well. Pairing a couple of easily-available ingredients and creating a delectable dish is just one thing I enjoy about cooking and this dish perfectly fits the bill.
Before preparing this porridge, I considered several options ranging from chao ca (Vietnamese fish porridge), chicken porridge (chao ga xe phay), rice gruel, jook, fawrclaab, Xifan, okayu and cháo thập cẩm (mixed congee) however, I decided to go for the turkey option. Probably the best name to give this dish is Vietnamese congee chào gà turkey porridge.
Here is a video on how to cook the Vietnamese congee chào gà (rice porridge)
This easy-to-make but yet delicious Vietnamese rice porridge is believed to be a perfect dish for bouncing back to good health after being sick but that doesn't mean that it is meant for only sick people. Anybody can cook and enjoy congee chào gà from the comfort zone of his/her home anytime any day but this dish is preferably enjoyed during cold weather to keep your body warm and to make you feel cozy.
Interestingly, I paired together my favorite ingredients that I had handy to prepare this easy-to-make, delicious and flavourful rice porridge. If you've never tried homemade rice porridge and have only enjoyed other forms of rice dishes such as jollof rice, chicken fried rice, arroz blanco etc, then you are really missing out.
A hot aromatic bowl of congee chào gà is definitely what you need to keep your body warm and cozy during this cold season. Give the recipe a try and most importantly, feel free to enjoy the porridge whichever way you deem right.
Loads of Love From Blessing :D
- 200g turkey, roasted and cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 800ml water
- ½ cup rice, washed and soaked in water for 1 hour
- ½ ginger, peeled and thickly cut
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¼ fresh pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ onion, sliced
- ½ teaspoon dried chives leaves
- 1 chicken stock cube
- Wash and soak the rice in water for one hour.
- Parboil rice for at least 5 minutes then set aside.
- While rice is being parboiled, add the turkey, water, ginger, stock cubes, soy sauce, chives, leaves, pepper, vegetable oil and salt in a saucepan then allow to boil.
- Once the turkey has started boiling, add the parboiled rice and cook until rice is soft and tender.
- You can add more water if you want the rice to be a lot more softer.
- Stir properly then bring down from heat and serve warm.
Rate this recipe
1 People Rated This Recipe
- (5.00 / 1)