Presently this choban salad is swinging out among the top of my favorite long list of salad. Choban salad (Çoban Salatası) is a popular Turkish salad also referred to as Shepherd's Salad. Çoban literally means shepherd and just like the gentle shepherd, is always enjoyed by everybody that tastes it.
The choban salad is normally prepared with chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and any green leafy vegetable of choice. Herbs such as parsley are often used for the preparation. I'm so loving them because they are just on the healthier side. Oh, and of course, they are super simple, quick and easy to prepare....
Believe me, this choban salad recipe easily meets all of the listed requirements. I also cherish that they are full of fresh healthy vegetables such as frisee, radicchio, lettuce, cucumber and tomato, which are all packed with minerals and vitamins.
I added extra virgin olive oil for extra moisture, which also adds additional flavor to the salad but honestly, you won't even notice it's there. The dressing is made up of extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice and black peppercorn. Çoban Salatası is such a refreshing salad that is all over Turkey especially during summer at the peak of tomatoes ripening and sweetness.
Plus, I love that I can add some salad as a side-dish to my lunch treat to make a complete balanced diet. My ideal way of preparing the choban salad is to chop the cucumber, tomato and onion into very tiny bits and combining both pieces with other ingredients.... It's just a perfect combination and a perfect breakfast for vegetarians; lunch or even dinner for everyone. It can be served alongside with halep kebab, chicken suya, doner kebab or kofta kebab. The good thing about this salad is that it does not need exquisite ingredients, plus it is quick and easy to make.
- 1 fresh tomato
- ¼ kg fresh frisee
- 1 Small white onion
- ½ Cucumber
- ½ tsp. lemon juice
- Black Peppercorn to taste
- 2 tsps. extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ kg radicchio
- ¼ kg lettuce
- Wash all the vegetables with salt and water (set aside in a sieve to drain excess water).
- Wash the tomato, onion and cucumber and chop into tiny bits.
- Add the onions, frisee, cucumbers, radicchio, tomatoes and lettuce in a clean bowl.
- Sprinkle the black peppercorn, olive oil, lemon juice and salt to taste.
- Toss the mixture thoroughly and put in the fridge for few minutes or up to an hour before serving. The choban salad can also be served immediately after preparation.
Rate this recipe
2 People Rated This Recipe
- (3.00 / 2)