Here we are once again with tart, but this time around it's ONION & SHALLOT TART! Ok dear, let's hit the kitchen and bake some QUICKIE snacks for a QUICKIE breakfast or dessert.
This recipe perfectly fits the bill for anyone who enjoys having an on-the-go breakfast or dessert. Honestly, this onion & shallot tart is a special way to ensure a great appetite ahead of the day.
It is very easy to make and it only requires the use of simple ingredients anyone can easily have available in the kitchen. Interestingly, this recipe basically requires no more than ten ingredients, but the ones you definitely need to pay close attention to are the shallots and onions because these are the key ingredients to make this snack what the title suggests it is.
Moreover, if I may say correctly, you probably might have all the other ingredients stand-by in your kitchen. As per the onions and shallots, any fresh, juicy shallots and onions would do – especially freshly purchased ones.
Small, tender onions and shallots are a perfect match you need for this recipe. Just tuck them in properly so that they sit closely with no gaps over the pastry.
Unlike some other tarts I have made in the past, this one does not have any other filling on the batter except the onions and shallots but it surely does not seem to matter since this is the recipe for this type of tart.
The secret to making a perfect onion & shallot tart is to caramelize the onions and shallots over medium heat before topping them over the pastry. There was plenty of aromatic flavor emanating from the onions and shallots but most importantly, the butter added softness to the tart.
This is a perfect tart you probably shouldn't miss out on. So if you are searching for a simple tart recipe, then search no further; just head over to the kitchen and pick the recipe outlined below to prepare for yourself some delicious and aromatic tart. The recipe can't be any simpler than the one shown below and I bet you can never go wrong with this.
- 500g shallot
- 1 egg
- Salt to taste
- 4 small onions
- 50g butter
- Fresh chives
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 2 tsps. olive oil
- 1200ml fresh milk
- Preheat the oven between 150- 200C.
- Peel, wash and cut the shallots and onions into two equal halves.
- Slightly heat up the olive oil under medium heat.
- Stir in salt and onions and continue to fry until onions are properly caramelised and slightly golden brown in colour.
- Add the maple syrup and fry until fully golden in appearance.
- Bring down the shallots and onions from heat and allow to cool down.
- Then sieve the flour into a clean bowl, add butter, milk and salt then mix thoroughly to form a dough.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Roll out the dough until slightly flattened then turn the pastry onto the tart pan.
- Tuck the edges of the pastry around the sides of the tart pan.
- Decorate the surface of the pastry with the caramelised onions and shallots.
- Whisk the egg and maple syrup together then use a pastry brush to rub the mixture over the surface of the tart.
- Pop into the oven and bake until the onion and shallot tart is golden in colour and properly baked.
- Bring out the tart from the oven, garnish with some fresh chives and allow to cool down before serving.
Rate this recipe
1 People Rated This Recipe
- (5.00 / 1)